November 21, 2010

The Faceless One












The day I met the Faceless One,

My ultimate journey had just begun.

Faintly smelly, right under my nose!

I took it in my hand, peered at it close,

And inquired of the hand regarding

“What it was, then next, what was that thing?”


“They call me the Pusher, the Faceless One,

And all over the world my job is done!

For, I fill in an ill society’s need.”

This is but Nature’s gift. A simple weed!

And a divine one, which all artists use,

In order to get closer to their Muse!


For it will help you concentrate!

And will temporarily change your state,

Others call it Black Poison from the East

Yet one man’s poison is another man’s feast!

And today I willing give it free!

Tomorrow you pay me in melody.


The four Beatles are known to have smoked dope

What the Faceless One offered them was ope!

But, music or no music, drugs are bad,

And the high prices one pays for them are mad!


And, in this condition, wanting to gleam

Thusly, I entered the drug scene,

And just as I had begun taking,

Opium, as I was already aching.

To do so again, again, and again!

Medically proved able to kill pain.


But as any junkie knows, there are cons,

That outweigh the pros and this poets mourns.

The death of every poor junkie who died,

With a needle full of buckshot inside,

A battle scarred arm full of tiny marks,

Trips begun in fun for the most innocent larks!


Over my body I had no control

And I knew the drug had captured my soul

And captured my mind and made me a slave

And forced me to beg on his knees and crave!

For more and more and more each day

And quietly steeling my will power away!


Like a false dream that does sweetly entice

Only to grip in a murderous vice!

Its innocent victim, each helpless man

The while he grew weak, thin, bloodless and wan.

And wasted before his own eyes

Trapped in a nightmare, too late to be wise!


Too late to do right but consume some more,

Of the vicious black poison as before!

Burning with deep hatred, aye, hating away,

Yet back for higher doses the next day;

And wondering if he’d ever be free…


This thing catches the body and twists it,

Then takes over the mind and mists it!

How everyone disapproves of this habit,

Man thinks he is a lion, but is in fact a rabbit!


The sky is drunk with grey clouds swirling high!

Swirl on! Swirl on! Here, there is none but I

And the grass is dry and yellow and dead,

And my heart pains, and my puffed eyes are red.

Faceless One! Once more your servant returns!

I need more to feel normal- this I learnt.


One thing I know- that I have been a mug,

I curse you! I curse you! I curse you drug!

The left side of my body feels so numb!

What have I become? What have I become?

It’s been a long, long time since earlier days

When just living life used to be a craze!


But despite this fact, the pleasure is none,

Another visit to the Faceless One!

Must be made- for I cannot lay down still

And, to tell the truth, I feel slightly ill!

Liar! Telling half truths is your great offence!

Liar! You did not say about dependence!

You painted a picture brilliant and wide

But you did not show me it’s others side!

The Faceless One smiled, said confidently;

“You are in my power, and will always be.

I say, “Fool! Do you know who I am? My life’s king!

I could have you killed for this wicket thing!


The Faceless One laughed, said confidently,

“But you will not- because now you need me!”

And in the howling darkness of the night

I realized he was right…

Physical pain! I hurt madly!

As though bits of glass break deep inside me!


When I give up this life I will awake!

Imagine the verses I will then create!

I feel the drug- yet I resist!

So tie me to this tree’s branch by my wrist.

Think of the friendliness of men no lie!

Hoping one can start a new, good life, if you try.

2 comments: